Replacing your furnace with a brand new one can cost thousands of dollars, but choosing to do this might be worth the investment. If your existing furnace is still working, but is experiencing some problems, you might want to consider investing in a new one at this time. Here are three reasons this might be a good decision to make right now.
Repairs Are Too Expensive
Old furnaces tend to experience more problems than new ones. Because of this, your furnace might start needing repairs every single year. At some point, you will have to decide when enough is enough, and you may want to do this at the point when the repairs are around 50% as much as the cost of a new furnace.
Furnaces can experience many problems, but these are some of the most expensive repairs to make:
- Cracked heat exchanger – Cracks in this part of your furnace can cause carbon monoxide to leak into your home, and replacing a bad heat exchanger can cost thousands of dollars.
- Motor – When the motor in your furnace wears out, it may continuously run, or it might not work at all. This too can cost a lot to replace.
- Circuit board – If your furnace is not extremely old, it probably contains a circuit board. This part of the furnace controls the operations of the unit and can be extremely expensive to replace.
Why should you keep investing in the old furnace when you could put the money towards a new one instead? This is especially true is your old furnace is not a high-efficiency device.
Furnace Is Not Efficient
The American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy (ACEEE) recommends replacing your furnace if it is at least 20 years old. Older furnaces may only have an efficiency rating of around 65%, which is really low compared to the efficiency ratings on new furnaces. A new furnace can have an efficiency rating as high as 98.5%.
The efficiency of your furnace is important for several reasons, including these two:
- It determines the cost of your energy bills – Higher ratings will result in lower energy bills. This is because high-efficiency furnaces can produce the same amount of heat in less time and with a lower amount of energy.
- It plays a role in the life of a furnace – High-efficiency furnaces run less, which means there is less stress placed on the parts of the furnace. Because of this, you may experience fewer problems, and the furnace may last longer.
Upgrading to a new system could help you save money in the long run, but you may also experience fewer inconveniences too.
Problems Are Inconvenient
For most people, furnace problems tend to occur at the most inopportune times in life. Your furnace might suddenly stop on the day you are expecting guests for dinner, or it could happen on the coldest day of the year. Whenever it happens, you can guarantee that it will be at an inconvenient time.
Not only is a lack of heat inconvenient, but this event also creates additional problems, such as:
- The pipes in your home could freeze.
- You might have to take the day off work to wait for the repair company.
- It could cost extra for the services if the company has to make an emergency service call.
- You might have to change the plans you have.
When a furnace stops working, it is never a good situation, but you can prevent this by hiring a furnace replacement company to install a brand new one for you. Not only will this help you avoid outages, but it may also help you save money and avoid problems.